The Newhall Auditorium made its debut in 1941, replacing the original structure that burned down in 1939. Then, as now, the community came together, raising funds to build the much- needed venue. Built during the Los Angeles area’s golden era of expansion, its design reflects the stately Art Deco architecture popular at the time. It was constructed as part of the $13.4 billion federal Works Progress Administration program created by President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal, providing jobs for millions of out-of-work Americans across the country. The auditorium was not only a vital educational and performing space for local children, but also served for several decades as a valued community gathering place.
Since 1975 the auditorium has served mostly as a warehouse, and is in need of a major makeover to become, once again, a gathering place and performance space for all the community to enjoy.
The time is now for ushering the Newhall Auditorium into a new period of service to community, with its preservation, modernization and dedication as the Newhall Family Theater for the Performing Arts.